Hello :) My name is Anna McEvoy and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management (Early Childhood) through CQUniversity, Noosa Hub. As part of my learning journey throughout the course, I am currently taking part in a course "Managing E-Learning". This course explores the technological competencies required within a 21st century connected society, and looks at how technology provides a platform for creativity and innovation. As I continue on my learning journey I will investigate new technologies whilst continuing to increase, improve and reflect on my new and prior knowledge throughout this blog. Although I admit to being terrified of this blogging experience, I look forward to sharing my learning journey with you!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Digital Video

Digital video is a fantastic technology tool that can be used for a variety of purposes. Digital videos can be most commonly found on YouTube and can be used for:
• Educational purposes
• Entertainment
• Reflection
• ICT incorporation in the classroom
• Engagement tool
• Information display
• Communication tool
• Presentations

Although I have never created my own digital video, I know plenty of people that have and therefore, I understand how simple this process can be. Kearney & Shuck (2004) suggest that digital video has many affective usages, for example, affective communication, observation, analysis and reflection. These usages of the communication tool have the ability to enhance students’ learning experiences. Students’ video productions can produce outcomes such as affective,
• Metacognitive
• Higher order thinking
• Communication
• Presentation
• Literacy
• Organisational skills
• Teamwork
• Moviemaking skills development

Digital videos can be made using still photographs, audio overlay or video clips. Although this makes digital videos easy to make using a range of ICTs, it is important that when digital video making is taking place in the classroom, students’ knowledge development is focussed on the subject and key learning area put in place for that particular learning experience.

To view an already made digital video, click here.

Digital video is a great tool that I would most definitely use in the classroom with all ages! It is one of the most affective tools I believe that could be used in the classroom as it can be used in so many different circumstances. It incorporates ICTs affectively into the classroom and is a great display and organisational tool for all ages to use. It could be used to, engage students into lessons, show parents what their students have been learning, enhance students’ presentations and affectively delivers information to a range of people. It is also a great way to provide opportunities for kinaesthetic learners, visual learners and technologically gifted students. I’d be interested to know what you think of this tool! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment